Wednesday, September 1, 2010

lasagna rolls

I have another dinner idea for you. I've made these lasagna rolls a couple of times and Paul and I really enjoy them. They are simple, tasty and make for a nice presentation on the plate so it would be a perfect dish for guests too.

What you need:
8 uncooked lasagna noodles
4 tsp. olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 (8oz.) package of fresh presliced mushrooms
1 (8oz.) package of fresh baby spinach
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
Marinara sauce

1. Boil the lasagna noodles in water for about 8-10 min. I added in just a little bit of olive oil so they wouldn't stick together.
2. While the noodles are cooking, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms, spinach and minced garlic. I added in half of the spinach and let it cook down and then I added the remainder of the spinach. Saute' 5 minutes.

3. Once the mushrooms and onions are tender, remove from the heat and place in a bowl. Stir in both cheeses, salt, and the crushed red pepper.

4. Hopefully by now the noodles are cooked. Drain them and rinse them in cold water.

5. Next, lay the noodles on a flat surface, spread 2 spoonfuls of the cheese mixture over each noodle and roll them up.

6. Place the rolls, seam side down, in a microwave-safe dish. Our plates are microwave-safe so I just went ahead and put them on the plates.
7. Pour 1/4 cup of marinara sauce over the noodles. I used Classico's tomato and basil pasta sauce. If you have homemade marinara sauce, I'm sure that would be wonderful too.

8. Heat on high for 30-45 seconds in the microwave. Sprinkle basil on top!

Bon appetit!

3 comments: