Tuesday, February 7, 2017

10 ways to pray for someone


Our Pastor challenged us in January to do something in 2017 that will matter for eternity. Setting house goals, health and fitness goals and other goals are all good, but eventually all those things will fade away.  My most important goal for 2017 is to pray for one specific person. Obviously, I will be praying for so many people throughout the year, but this one person is someone that I am not sure where they stand with their salvation.  I think we all go through seasons of life where, if we love Jesus, we feel led to reach out and pray for someone specifically. I have talked to my sister and my husband about this for the past few months, that I truly feel that the Holy Spirit has placed one specific person in mind for me to be a light to. To be honest, I've sort of tried to forget about it, but the name will not leave my head and I would be completely disobeying if I do not at least begin planting seeds. And I do not think it was a coincidence that our Pastor spoke directly on this subject. I encourage you to do the same. Pick someone to pray for this year. Do not beat them over the head with the Bible. Let's start by praying and building a relationship and let God work. What a different world we would be living in if we all would pray for and support one another.  Below is what our Pastor emailed to our church and I thought it was such a great resource and starting point for me. 




Below are 10 ways to pray for your friend(s) as developed by Neil Cole and included in his book Cultivating a Life for God: Multiplying Disciples Through Life Transformation Groups.

1.   I pray, Lord, that you draw _____ to Yourself (John 6:44).

2.   I pray that _____ seeks to know You (Acts 17:27).

3.   I pray that _____ hears and believes the Word of God (1 Thess. 2:13).

4.   I ask You to prevent Satan from blinding _____ to the truth (2 Cor. 4:4, 2 Tim. 2:25-26).

5.   Holy Spirit, I ask You to convict ______ of his/her sin and reveal his/her need for Christ's redemption.

6.   I ask You to send someone who will share the Gospel with _____ (Matt. 9:37-38).

7.   I also ask that You give me (and/or my fellow disciple) the opportunity, the courage, and the right words to share the truth with _____ (Col. 4:3-6; Eph. 6:19-20).

8.   Lord, I pray that _____ turns from his/her sin (Acts 17:30-31; 1 Thess. 1:9-10).

9.   Lord, I pray that _____ would put all of his/her trust in Christ (John 1:125:24).

10. Lord, I pray that _____ will confess Christ as Lord of his/her life, take root and grow in his/her faith, and bear much fruit for Your glory (Rom. 10:9-10; Col. 2:6-7; Luke 8:15).


No comments:

Post a Comment